The GM Edge
As part of MET’s Business Excellence Initiative, MET Schools of Management conducted a topical interactive session on ‘Graduating from a Functional Manager to a General Manager’ by Mr. V. Shankar, MD & CEO of Rallis India Ltd., at MET Convention Centre on September 23, 2009. This session was addressed by Prof. Vijay Page, Director General – MET IOM, followed by a presentation on the subject by Mr. V. Shankar. It was well attended by dignitaries, management, faculty and students of MET SOM. The session concluded with Mr. Doongaji, Dean, Business Excellence - MET Schools of Management, Prof. Vijay Page, Director General – MET IOM and Brig. (Retd.) M. K. Nag, Director - MET AMDC sharing their views with the audience. The following were the learnings:
- Importance of alignment of different individuals and departments to the vision of the company.
- Communication in an organization is most important and at the same time, most difficult.
- Set goals for your employees. Develop a go-getter attitude amongst your employees. Connect it to something the employees would identify it with like a football game. This will integrate energy in all.
- Listen to your customer.
- Do not just promote your product but educate the customer too.
- Make your products market relevant.
- Unlock self-esteem of people – including the blue collar workers.
- Get something measured to get it done.
- Acknowledge efforts of your people.